Search This Blog

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." —-Virginia Woolf

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BRUNCH is the "BIZNESS"

Oh the adventures keep piling up, I tell you.  Tonight's blog is dedicated to that special meal when you wake up too late for breakfast and you don't feel like doing lunch just yet.

Yes. BRUNCH.

I absolutely love brunch, and you are about to find out why with these next couple of places I recently tasted in San Francisco.  They are from totally opposite neighborhoods, but they have one thing in common: they're both on my "Top Brunch Recommendations in SF" list.

1) Brenda's French Soul Food - Tenderloin, SF

I was very excited to try this place, especially due to the rave reviews from Yelp and my friends.

A couple of things.  First off, the location is in the Tenderloin, which isn't the safest of neighborhoods.  However, it definitely made for entertaining people-watching for my friends and I as we waited the hour or so to get seated. Also during our wait, I got my chai latte fix at Philz Coffee a couple blocks away.


We got seated a bit after we returned and the ambiance was vibrant and loud; don't be surprised if you are literally a foot away from your neighbor.  We split the "Beignet Sampler," which had 4 flavors: chocolate, apple, crayfish, and classic.  The beignets were piping hot from the fryer; crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.  They were delicious, with my favorite being the crayfish (all the way on the right) with its melted cheddar, green onions, and spicy kick.

  
For my main, I ordered the Eggs Benedict with Fried Chicken, which came on top of cream biscuits and a side of buttery grits.  I was practically having brunch in the South.  Although I was semi-stuffed by the beignets, I dug into my meal like I hadn't eaten in years.


  
Oh, was it heaven.  It was so good that somewhere in my subconscious I could hear my arteries begging me to stop eating.  The richness of the food was starting to take me back to the reality that I was dead-on full.  

Definitely try Brenda's - just be sure to run a couple (hundred) miles after...or before. ;)



2) Zazie - Cole Valley, SF


This gem in Cole Valley was another spot that's been on my brunch bucket list for a while.  It is located in the opposite type of neighborhood Brenda's was in.  I actually felt like I was walking in the Chelsea District of New York, where there are plenty of elite and popular restaurants and cafes.


My brother and I went on a Friday around 11am, starving for some good ol' brunch.   The French-style restaurant was very quaint, had front and back outdoor seating, and a rustic vibe.  I was very surprised that we waited only a couple minutes for a table, and we got to sit in the gorgeous patio.   Later, I found that we came at the perfect time because as we left, there was a crowd of people waiting for a table. 




When ordering, my brother and I know how to get the most out of our meals by sharing everything.  We ordered (from top to bottom in the pics) 1 Gingerbread pancake with pears, 1 Tahitian French Toast (it was stuffed with bananas and walnuts and topped with caramelized bananas), and an order of 2 "Albert" (bacon, pepperjack cheese, and salsa fresca) Poached Eggs with salad.  There was a choice between salad or potatoes with the Poached Eggs.  The salad was an excellent choice because after our meal, we were a satisfied full as opposed to the "food coma" full I get with an excess of carbs.



What I liked about the menu was that you can order single, double, or triple items.  For example, you can order 1, 2 or 3 poached eggs or slices of french toast.  This accommodates for sharing purposes and appetite sizes.  Most places make you order the set dish of 2 poached eggs at the given price.  




This portion was just right for the two of us.

I heard this place gets PACKED during weekend brunch. They do not take resos for brunch; it's first come first serve so come EARLY.  They do take resos for dinner I think.

I definitely want to come back here for lunch or dinner.  My eyes had wandered to my neighbor to the right of me, who had this amazing looking sandwich with cheese baked on top, and the guy on the left of me had the most delicious BLT I had ever seen, mainly because it had roasted Provencal tomatoes, which I am a huge sucker for.

Or who knows?  I may be back for brunch again.  It was THAT yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

rachelmolano@gmail.com