Search This Blog

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." —-Virginia Woolf

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

When It Rains, It Pours

Pun intended with the weird weather lately.  In addition, this is in directly correlation to the massive amounts of food reviews & pictures I am about to post to make up for lost time. =)

So sit back, relax and let the vicarious eating begin.

1) "Maneki Sushi" - Union City. 

Thanks for the introduction Allen!  Another yummy sushi adventure to add to the books.


Sake (Salmon) and Hamachi (Yellowtail) Sashimi

Very fresh, buttery and lemony-tasting.  I could have eaten the whole plate myself. 

BMW, Red Mountain, GBU, and Lion King Rolls (Left to right) 

Very creative and tasty rolls, although the shrimp tempura was not the best I've had.  Our Lion King was literally on fire; I have never seen that before and appreciated the uniqueness.  


Assorted Sashimi Poki Salad

To top off our Maneki experience, the sushi chef gave this on the house! It was delicious, with a tad of spice and a variety of different fish.

I'd definitely come back if I were in the area.  Too bad it's so far!

2) "Betelnut" - Marina, SF

We had some delightful eats for my cousin Rea's birthday in the Marina @ this modern, vibrant Asian fusion spot on Union St. in the Marina.  The entrees were served "tapas" style and we ordered several dishes, which were a bit on the pricey side considering their size.  However, I enjoyed several of the dishes.  I will point out my favorites.

Firecracker Shrimp

One of my favorites: crispy, juicy, flavorful shrimp with sliced jalapenos, basil, and green onions.  I was even eating the jalapenos after the shrimp were gone. They should be called "crack shrimp."


Chili Crusted Calamari

This is one of the dishes that I frequently test out in restaurants, so my standard for it is pretty high.  I would not order it again here; it was overcooked.


 Little Dragon Dumplings

Freshly made pork and shrimp dumplings.  They were good, but nothing to write home about.


Pork Dumplings

These were very delicious and the sauce complimented them well.


Marin Farms Pork Confit, Szechuan Peppercorn, and Scallion Pancakes

I rarely order confit, but this one was tasty.  The pork was tender and flavorful and paired well with the scallion pancake.  I couldn't eat a lot of it though- the pancakes are filling.

  Malaysian Curry, "Laksa." Chicken, Prawns, Mint, Basil

I was surprised to find noodles on the bottom of this dish.  Of course we accidentally ordered rice with it.  This curry had more of a minty basil taste.   It was good, but not enough to order again.
 

  Penang Rice Noodles, Rock Crab, Shrimp, Sprouts, Chive, Chili-Soy

Hands down- my favorite dish.  It was a cross between Pad Thai and Chow Fun;  I really dug the flavor and the mixture of seafood and egg with the tender rice noodles.  A must-try!


Indonesian "Mee Goreng" Chicken, Shrimp, Tofu, Cabbage, Spicy-Soy

Another delicious dish, all those who are into spicy food would enjoy this one.

Although I had a satisfying meal sampling this upper scale Asian Fusion menu in the Marina, I still love the fact that I can have authentic dim sum anywhere, without the strain on my wallet. 

3) "Dottie's True Blue Cafe" - Tenderloin, SF

My brother, Michael and I were both off Friday, 3/18.  We took this fact and ran with it, stomachs first, through the city's pouring rain in search for some brunch.  Michael had been recommending "Dottie's" to me for a while so we battled through the buckets of rain (literally) and somehow found ourselves at the end of a line out the door of a small diner in the Tenderloin that seats 40.  We were cold, wet, and hungry and an hour passed by the time we got seated.  I kept telling myself that the wait is typical for a small, yet awesome breakfast place. All negative thoughts dissipated once I sunk my teeth into the following.

Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes

Love at first bite.  Big juicy blueberries with the soft buttery texture and the intermingling taste of buttermilk and cornmeal puts this as one of my top breakfast items of all time.

Whiskey Fennel Sausage Scramble with Mushrooms, Roasted Potatoes, Grilled Cornbread 

A perfect salty match for the pancakes.  The sausage was amazing; I did not taste any nitrites, it was very fresh.  The potatoes and grilled cornbread were yummy, but definitely expanded in our stomachs. 

The special's board housed several mouth-watering items that I would like to try, so YES I will definitely be back.  However, I would probably be more prudent in choosing when to go so I don't have to wait an hour for a seat.

4) Anthony's Cookies & Humphry Slocombe - Mission District, SF

Our stomachs led us to the Mission District in search for some dessert.  By this time, our other friend, Jodie met up and wanted to join in on the food gallivanting. 

First we stopped by Anthony's Cookies.  Pricing is $1.25 per cookie and they are a bit small, but delicious.  If you want to get a better deal, get MORE.  I believe you can buy 6 for $6.

 
Double Walnut Chip Cookie

Crispy with soft center.  Walnut are fantastic.  I recommend the "Cookies and Cream" and "Chocolate Chip."

Next we headed to Humphry Slocombe's for some gourmet ice cream.

Jasmine Green Tea and Black Sesame Ice Cream 

I could probably live off gourmet ice cream.  I love sampling their flavors.  Some recommendations are "Secret Breakfast," (it has bourbon and cornflakes) and "Rosemary's Baby."



5) "Turtle Tower" Tenderloin, SF

Since it was cold, we were craving soup.  What better meal than Pho?  Northern Vietnamese Pho.

We managed to find ourselves back in the Tenderloin, dodging the random crack addicts and hookers, to get to my favorite Pho spot in the city, "Turtle Tower."


#4 -  Beef Noodle Pho - Steak, Tripe, Flank, Brisket

Everything about this dish spells comfort food.  I feel like I'm at home eating some warm tasty broth, fresh tender beef, and homemade noodles.  A squeeze of lemon completes my meal before I dig in.  

You must try this spot- but go early because they close at 7:30pm.


To be continued.... More to come but I need some zzzzzz's!

1 comment:

  1. Well whenever you're in my neck of the woods (aka east bay area =P) we shall dine there! =)

    UP NEXT: boiling crab!! uh ohhh!!...

    ReplyDelete

rachelmolano@gmail.com