Search This Blog

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." —-Virginia Woolf

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Birth of a Food Blog - by Rachel Molano

Ladies and gents, the long-awaited food blog is finally born!  

It took me a while to get this started, mainly because I thought:

1) I'd have no time.  (I didn't even update my own Yelp reviews on a regular basis and no matter how many times I tried to justify it, "checking in" simply doesn't count.)  
 2) There were certain rules to follow (Do I need to write about specific topics?  What if I don't feel like blogging all the time?) 

So I put it off and was seemingly content with uploading my food pics on FB.  

As my list of food adventures grew longer, so did my friends' suggestions (OK- demands) for a food blog.   Soon, comments from my pics of caramel macarons from Bouchon and short ribs from Bottega started turning into, "Rach- when are you going to start that food blog?!"

I think it was time to oblige.

So here I am: a mid- twenties food fanatic in the midst of eating her way through the world, one bite at a time. 

Ready to live vicariously? =D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 4, 2011. DESSERT-HOPPING IN BERKELEY

One thing that I am known for is my sweet tooth, which has led me to some scrumptious adventures, some of which I may disclose in the future.  Today, it led me to Berkeley, one of my favorite foodie spots.  I headed out to Telegraph St., which was teeming with Cal students.

I stopped by "Cream," which I heard is the Bay's version of "Diddy Reese" in LA.  For those who are Diddy Reese virgins (like me- unfortunately), think Otis Spunkmeyer cookies meet Double Rainbo ice cream.  After poring over the menu behind the line of ravenous students, I decided to go with Butter Sugar cookies wrapped around Cinnamon Caramel ice cream.  Heaven in your mouth.


Still not convinced?  It was only $1.50.  Quick tip: Make sure to say "Can I have the soft warm cookies?"


I still had some time to kill so I jetted to a spot that I've been wanting to taste: Crixa Cakes.  It is located on a nook on Adeline St. in the midst of vintage-like stores.  The cafe was very quaint and upon entering, had the sudden urge to order a dessert and read my kindle.  There were several desserts on display, including Tiramisu and Apple pie.

I was instantly drawn to the flourless chocolate cake, which was $4.60 per slice.  I was expecting a dense chocolate, but was surprised by the light & fluffy taste of the eggs intermingled with the bittersweet chocolate.  I was also pleased that it was not overly sweet. (As if that excused the fact that I had just eaten an ice cream sandwich at "Cream" 30 minutes prior.) 


To all of you foodies out there, any recommendations on dessert spots in Berkeley?  Also, what would you suggest I taste from these spots? 

Thanks for reading - Happy eating!


5 comments:

  1. Yum! Andrew needs to take me there. So glad you started the blog. Can't wait to read all your food adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should do a week dedicated to ice cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - reveal yourself! I'm guessing Camille?? =)If so, thank you and good luck in your run today!

    oooh Cha- I like the ice cream idea. I already have some past pics. Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the site!

    ReplyDelete

rachelmolano@gmail.com